Ten Tips for Small Business Success
UPS started out as a small business more than a century ago. Today, as the world's largest package delivery company, we understand how important it is to win contracts with companies, and we know that the bottom line counts.
UPS takes seriously our role in empowering and strengthening businesses that drive economic vitality in the communities where we live and serve.
Here are 10 tips to consider for small business success:
- Get certified as a minority- or woman-owned business and get involved in local organizations.
- Look for customers who are committed to supplier diversity.
- Know how to sell your company by pitching what you alone can bring to the table.
- Conduct advance planning and research about the company.
- Understand what makes the company tick.
- If your product or service is not a good fit for a company, know when to cut your losses and focus energy elsewhere.
- Pick the right point-of-entry by contacting the appropriate buyer.
- Be able to answer this question: "If I buy your product or service, how will it help my company gain a competitive advantage?"
- Seek mentor relationships to bolster weak areas.
- Practice the three P's: patience, persistence, and perseverance.