UPS Data Centers Fact Sheet
UPS Data Centers Features
- House the world’s largest DB2 relational data base.
- Meet zone 2 seismic requirements (Richter Scale)
- Windward Data Center can withstand 200 mph winds
- 250+ miles of wire in each center connect all systems
- 650,000 gallons of chilled water storage in each center to run computers if power fails
- UPS received Uptime Institute’s 2008 Green Enterprise Technology Award for reducing energy use at the Windward Data Center. UPS reduced power usage by 1,440,000 kwh per year and carbon emissions by more than 1,000 tons.
UPS has two primary data centers supporting its worldwide computer operations. Both data centers are completely self-sufficient with dual paths for electricity and chilled water. Both data centers feature an automation system that is totally integrated to monitor the entire building from a single laptop computer. Together, both centers ensure uninterrupted service for UPS operations and provide UPS customers with real-time access to shipping information.
Ramapo Ridge Data Center:
Located in Mahwah, NJ at the UPS World Technology Headquarters, Ramapo Ridge Data Center encompasses 470,600 square feet on 39 acres and features 55,400 square feet of raised flooring 24 inches high.
Other features include:
- 5,400 tons of air conditioning capacity – enough to cool more than 1,500 homes
- Two backup wells can supply 120 gallons of water per minute if city water is disrupted
- More than 5 miles of piping with redundant paths and automatic valving
- Three 1,200-kilowatt and four 1,600-kilowatt engine-generators to provide backup power
- More than 3,000 batteries to provide power bridge for backup generators
- 30,000-gallon fuel oil storage tank capacity for generators
- 20 miles of underground conduit and 60+ miles of fiber optic cable
Windward Data Center:
Built in 1995 near Atlanta, the Windward Data Center was designed to provide increased mainframe capacity and backup facilities for its sister data center in New Jersey. The center encompasses 172,000 square feet on 25 acres and features 65,000 square feet of raised flooring 32 inches high, including 43,500 square feet of computer floor.
Other features include:
- 4,000 tons of air conditioning capacity – enough to cool more than 2,000 homes
- 650-foot backup well can supply 120 gallons of water per minute if city water is disrupted
- 8 miles of piping with redundant paths and automatic valving
- Six 1,600-kilowatt engine-generators to provide backup power (expandable to 12)
- 4,000 batteries to provide power bridge for backup generators (expandable to 7,000)
- 40,000-gallon fuel oil storage tanks
- 40 miles of underground conduit