Abstract Download PDF
In July 2014, UPS published its 12th sustainability report. The 2013 report documents UPS's ongoing efforts to increase sustainability through its "Committed to More™" approach. Noting that sustainability is often discussed in terms of doing less, UPS is committed to efficiently providing more - for customers, the environment, and communities around the world. The report recaps UPS's sustainability goals, accomplishments, and priorities. The annual sustainability report establishes UPS as a leader in sustainability reporting.
- We had 3,142 alternative fuel and advanced technology vehicles in operation as of the end of 2013 and now this fleet has more than 4,518 vehicles in operation.
- Our alternative fuel/advanced technology fleet has logged more than 350 million miles since 2000, saving 34.5 million gallons of conventional gasoline and diesel.
- We believe we are on track to reach our goal of driving 1 billion miles in our alternative fuel and advanced technology fleet by the end of 2017.
- In 2013, the total number of stops to deliver packages increased 2.5 percent due to higher shipping volume by our customers, yet the miles we drove increased only 1.5 percent.
- In 2013 we reduced our total greenhouse gas emissions by 1.5 percent even with a 3.9 percent increase in our global package operation volume.
- Modifications to our Boeing 767 aircrafts saved 2.5 million gallons of jet fuel in 2013, and avoided 24,000 metric tonnes of greenhouse gases.
- In 2013, we avoided driving more than 9.7 million miles compared to 2012, avoiding the use of 1 million gallons of fuel and 10,000 metric tonnes of CO2.
- UPS Airlines used 0.7 percent less fuel in 2013 even though shipping volume for the airline rose 1.6 percent year-over-year.
- With our initial deployment of our On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation (ORION) system in 2013, UPS optimized 10,000 delivery routes in the U.S. As a result, we expect to save more than 1.5 million gallons of fuel annually and 14,000 metric tons of CO2 emissions.
Strengthening Global Communities
- In 2013, UPS employees donated 1.8 million volunteer hours to non-profit organizations.
- By the end of 2013, nearly 4,500 employees had signed up to be Sustainability Ambassadors worldwide.
- In 2013, The UPS Foundation and UPS employees contributed $102 million in total charitable contributions and United Way donations.
- The UPS Foundation also assisted with more than 250 shipments to 46 different countries to help with disaster response efforts and provided $7.5 million toward humanitarian relief in 2013.
- The UPS Foundation provided nearly $4 million for Environmental Sustainability in 2013.
- Our Global Forestry Initiative planted more than 3 million trees around the world since 2012.
Transparency & Credibility
- UPS has joined a select group of global companies that have adopted the Global Reporting Initiative's (GRI) G4 guidelines - one of the first companies in the United States to do so.
- The contents of UPS's Sustainability report has been assured for the fifth straight year by Deloitte & Touche LLP, reaffirming UPS's ongoing commitment to transparency, assurance and verification.
- UPS's greenhouse gas inventory has been verified to a reasonable level of assurance by both Deloitte & Touche LLP and Société Générale de Surveillance (SGS).
Dedication to Veterans
- UPS has increased networking opportunities for veterans to help them transition into the civilian workforce, and the company is increasing its recognition and support for veterans working at UPS.
- In 2013, we signed on to the White House's "Joining Forces" program and pledged to hire more than 25,000 former members of the U.S. military over the next five years. We also plan to donate more than 25,000 employee volunteer hours helping veterans and U.S. Veterans Service Organizations (VSOs).
- In 2013, our employees committed to donating more than 25,000 volunteer hours over five years to United States military veterans and VSOs.
Updated: January 2015
We are processing your speaker request.
We have received your request for a UPS speaker. We will be contacting you shortly to cofirm event details and try to work out a successful speaking engagement. Thanks very much for your request.
We have received your request for UPS email updates.
Thank you for subscribing to receive email updates from UPS. You have been added to the UPS press release email distribution list and can expect to begin receiving UPS news within 1 or 2 business days.