- Bi-directional rail service improves connectivity for businesses in Hong Kong and Europe, enabling seamless exchange of goods as trade between two regions continues to grow
- Provides an alternative transportation mode that is 30% faster than ocean freight and costs up to 60% less than air freight
UPS (NYSE: UPS) announced today that it has launched a new Full Container Load (FCL) service between Hong Kong and Europe, which leverages on UPS’s existing China-to-Europe rail service to better connect businesses that are trading between these two regions.
The two-way service between Hong Kong and Duisburg, Germany is an alternative transportation mode that allows businesses to balance time and cost-savings; businesses can now enjoy faster transit times of up to 30 percent versus FCL ocean freight, and cost savings of up to 60 percent1 versus air freight.
“Europe is Hong Kong’s third largest trading partner after China and ASEAN2, with total export value to Europe growing by 10.7 percent to HK$83.4 billion in the first quarter of 20183,” said Lauren Zhao, Managing Director of UPS Hong Kong and Macau. “As trade with Europe continues to grow, our customers will benefit from a broader portfolio of shipping options that UPS offers.”
The expanded rail service enables businesses to adapt their transportation requirements and expenditures to suit their supply chain needs. Businesses in the fast-paced high-tech, retail and manufacturing industries can benefit from faster speed-to-market with end-to-end shipment visibility for their high-value products. They can also capitalize on UPS’s brokerage expertise to navigate complex customs regulations so as to reduce risk of delays and achieve timely delivery of goods.
The new UPS Preferred® FCL-Rail service offers the following advantages:
- Convenience: Customers pack goods directly into containers; no transloading required.
- Security: Seal management, alarms, and optional GPS container tracking to monitor location, temperature, humidity and movement and light.
- Simplified Clearance: UPS systems are electronically linked to customs authorities, reducing the risk of errors and speeding up clearance processes.
- Sustainability: Rail services emit 25 times less CO2 than air freight and significantly less nitrogen oxide, non-methane hydrocarbon and sulfur dioxide than ocean transportation, making it a more environmentally-friendly mode of transportation.
- Visibility: UPS Flex™ Global View provides end-to-end visibility into shipment status and critical milestones to keep customers informed of the progress of their goods.
UPS offers an extensive portfolio of FCL and less-than-container-load (LCL) multimodal freight services that enables businesses to have a choice between speed and economy to meet both transit time expectations and cost-reduction objectives for their international shipments. The Hong Kong-Europe rail service is an expansion of UPS’s Preferred® multimodal freight services portfolio, which connects six stations in China and four stops in Europe by rail.
UPS (NYSE: UPS) is a global leader in logistics, offering a broad range of solutions including transporting packages and freight; facilitating international trade, and deploying advanced technology to more efficiently manage the world of business. Headquartered in Atlanta, UPS serves more than 220 countries and territories worldwide. The company can be found on the web at ups.com® or pressroom.ups.com and its corporate blog can be found at longitudes.ups.com. To get UPS news direct, follow @UPS_Asia on Twitter.
1 Transit times and costs vary based on origin, destination and commodity and are not guaranteed.
2 Source: The Future of HK-EU Co-operation, HKTDC, 18 August 2017
3 Source: Hong Kong External Merchandise Trade, Census and Statistics Department, HKSAR, 7 May 2018
We are processing your speaker request.
We have received your request for a UPS speaker. We will be contacting you shortly to cofirm event details and try to work out a successful speaking engagement. Thanks very much for your request.
We have received your request for UPS email updates.
Thank you for subscribing to receive email updates from UPS. You have been added to the UPS press release email distribution list and can expect to begin receiving UPS news within 1 or 2 business days.