UPS Service Enhancements Target Growing Import Opportunities In China
Enhancements reinforce importance of import trade flows as UPS participates at the high-profile first China International Import Expo (CIIE)
UPS (NYSE:UPS) today highlighted enhancements to its service and portfolio in China at a roundtable session with several business and trade media, hosted by Ross McCullough, President of UPS Asia Pacific Region, and Harld Peters, President of UPS China. This announcement comes as the Chinese government increases its focus on imports to encourage greater bilateral trade between its major partners:
- Faster delivery for import shipments cleared via informal entry to Beijing and Tianjin from Europe and intra-Asia1 by up to one day to accelerate cross-border import trade
- Expanded UPS Worldwide Express to more postal codes in 22 cities across China2 since January this year; customers with time-sensitive shipment needs can now opt to have their import packages delivered by 10:30 AM
- UPS My Choice® package-delivery management service introduced to give Chinese consumers shopping from international e-tailers greater control over their deliveries
- Four daily flights to UPS’s Shenzhen Intra-Asia Hub and Hong Kong upsized to new Boeing 747-8 aircraft, which offer 15 percent greater capacity than previous Boeing 747-400s; UPS operates 16 daily flights to support customers with import shipment needs through gateways in Shanghai, Shenzhen and Hong Kong
“China’s fast-growing middle class and their rapid adoption of ecommerce is fueling more imports into China; creating opportunities for businesses looking to serve this dynamic market, and driving the demand for reliable and timely delivery services,” said Ross McCullough, President of UPS Asia Pacific Region. “UPS’s global network and our unmatched capabilities help connect businesses looking to sell to China, and provide locally-based companies the flexibility to import and export goods effectively.”
As an example, the expansion of alcohol shipping to China last year in combination with the recently introduced UPS My Choice enables alcoholic beverage e-tailers to deliver a stronger customer experience as online alcohol sales continue to rise year on year.3 Customers of these high-value shipments also benefit from UPS technology and security controls4 that provide visibility throughout the shipment journey, giving them a peace of mind.
With one integrated network supported by multimodal transportation, UPS has also added eight new stations to its intercontinental UPS Preferred® rail service connecting China and Europe. The three new stops in China are in Hefei, Xiamen, and Xi’an, while five new stops were added in Germany, Hungary, the Netherlands and Poland. The logistics integrator first introduced its China-Europe rail service in 2014, and has expanded its rail stops annually since then to strengthen connectivity and provide more flexible transportation solutions for businesses.
“Much like the addition of nodes to UPS’s China-Europe rail network, new corridors will continue to sprout along the New Silk Road with more markets integrating and participating in cross-border trade. Businesses will look for guidance to ensure their supply chains don’t get derailed – UPS, with our broad portfolio and global presence, is in a prime position to keep them on the right track,” McCullough added.
UPS has served businesses in China for 30 years, and currently operates more than 225 facilities across the country. With more than 220 weekly UPS flights to and from its strategically located hubs in Shenzhen and Shanghai, these latest enhancements further strengthen the competitiveness of businesses with import shipment needs.
1. Japan, Malaysia, South Korea, and Taiwan
2. Beijing, Changshu, Dongguan, Fuzhou, Gaomi, Hangzhou, Huizhou, Jinjiang, Jiangnin, Jiangmen, Jiangyin, Nanjing, Nantong, Qingdao, Shanghai, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Suzhou, Wuxi, Xishan, Yinzhou, and Zhuhai
3. IWSR, 5 September 2018, China leads the way for beverage alcohol ecommerce
4. UPS Value-Added Services: Delivery Instructions and Notification (Adult Signature Required)
UPS (NYSE: UPS), one of the world’s largest package delivery companies with 2019 revenue of $74 billion, provides a broad range of integrated logistics solutions for customers in more than 220 countries and territories. The company’s more than 500,000 employees embrace a strategy that is simply stated and powerfully executed: Customer First. People Led. Innovation Driven. UPS is committed to being a steward of the environment and positively contributing to the communities we serve around the world. UPS also takes a strong and unwavering stance in support of diversity, equity and inclusion. The company can be found on the Internet at www.ups.com, with more information at www.pressroom.ups.com and www.investors.ups.com.
We are processing your speaker request.
We have received your request for a UPS speaker. We will be contacting you shortly to cofirm event details and try to work out a successful speaking engagement. Thanks very much for your request.
We have received your request for UPS email updates.
Thank you for subscribing to receive email updates from UPS. You have been added to the UPS press release email distribution list and can expect to begin receiving UPS news within 1 or 2 business days.